Maeva the Buxom part 1

Mirabelle continued to be attentive and affectionate (though definitely not in a clingy girly way!) all through the next morning when we took an inventory of what Tsarrina needed to fix up Gweden Cathouse and replace various items, such as the bloodstained carpet. On our way back to Anvil for the necessary shopping, we dropped by Whitmond Farm, a small place growing corn and potatoes just outside Anvil's northern gate. There, the lone caretaker, Maeva, kindly loaned us her small cart driven by a weary mule.

Maeva was a lovely, friendly Nord woman with probably the biggest breasts this side of Cyrodiil. Doubtless the reason that she was known affectionately as Maeva the Buxom. She was clearly once a beauty with creamy white skin and excellent complexion, but long hours under the sun and a hard farmer's life had roughened her hands and given her a bit of a tan, though Nords generally didn't tan well.

I was concerned that she'd be leaving the farm untended to come with us, but she dismissed my concerns.
"There's nothing to take," she explained. "After my husband Bjalfi the Contemptible took off with the only valuables we had to make his fortune, there's nothing to steal until harvest time, really."

"You've not heard from him, then?" Mirabelle asked gently.

"He's never coming back," Maeva spat. "Worst part is, he's taken RockShatter. If my father ever found out..."

Seeing my puzzled look, the ladies explained that Bjalfi and Maeva had initially settled in Anvil to be farmers as their parents were, but the promise of quick money made Bjalfi pawn off most of their goods for heavy armor. He also took the heirloom mace, Rockshatter, that had been in Maeva's family for generations. Her father had given it to her as a wedding gift.

"Initially he wanted to join the Fighter's Guild -- you know their motto, 'fight and get paid for it'." But there was even quicker money the Nord way."

"Raiding," I guessed.

"I told him we weren't in Skyrim, but he didn't listen. Joined up with some gang holed up in the ruins of an abandoned fort nearby -- Fort Strand. If they've been up to no good here, the Imperial Road Watch haven't caught them. He's going to wind up dead or having to leave Anvil. I just know it. Either way, he's not coming back."

I found that a bit hard to believe, as Maeva the Buxom was really a fine catch. Not only was she attractive (and admittedly very well-endowed), athletic but a hard worker, responsible, and low-maintenance for a woman. But greed can do funny things to people. Maybe Bjalfi wanted to impress her with money.

"My father said I was a fool to marry him, but I didn't listen..."

"What made you marry him?" I asked.

Maeva let out a long sigh.

Mirabelle patted my hand. "It's a woman thing. Sometimes, we're attracted to men who are bad for us."

"If you see my good-for-nothing husband, tell him I want back what he stole from me!"

She strode ahead in a huff. Mirabelle continued to walk by my side, and she gave my hand a little squeeze. When I turned to her, she had a meaningful look on her face.

In the back of my mind I was pretty sure none of this was a coincidence -- Mirabelle must have known it would come up, and then expect me to do something. I wondered if sex last night had been a bribe to make me feel obliged right now.

I wasn't sure whether to feel offended or hurt.

*

Tamriel being the deadly place it was, and people surprisingly prone to lethal force as I had experienced in my first days here, I wasn't at all surprised that Bjalfi's band immediately tried to kill me. Fortunately they were spread out in the extensive ruins of Fort Strand, and a combination of stealth, magic, and Legion training let me get the drop on most of them. It was pretty low of me to use my alchemy on them and poison my arrows, but they were many, I was just one, and I really didn't care to be rat food in some dusty ruin.

I never did get a chance to talk to Bjalfi. It was only when the dust settled that I realized I'd killed him. The mace of Dwemer make was of a dull gold metal, surprisingly heavy, and enchanted to give a nasty electric sting. How it was particularly good at shattering rocks I could only guess.

I reported the incident to the Anvil City Watch, and arranged for the local armoury and general store, Morvayn's Peacemakers and Lelles' Quality Merchandise, to haul out what was salvageable for consignment.

Whether Maeva or Mirabelle knew how violently things would play out, I didn't know, although it would have been fair to guess. Was I their patsy? Did they genuinely need this favour? I suppose I'd find out when I returned the mace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hell's Bailiff - Chapter 4 Part 2

Vids are BACK! And Sexlivion Links

Hell's Bailiff - Chapter 4 Part 1